A former national chairman of the All Progressives Congress Adams Oshiomhole on Tuesday pleaded with Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom for an out-of-court settlement in the N10 billion libel suit he (Ortom) instituted against him.
Mr Ortom had filed the suit against Oshiomhole over his comments against him at a press conference on July 27, 2018, where Oshiomhole accused the governor of having a hand in the death of two Catholic priests and other parishioners at Mbalom Community, Gwer East Local Government Area on the grounds that one of the priests had preached a “very critical sermon” against him (the governor).
Oshiomhole had earlier on the suit filed six preliminary objections which the court resolved in Ortom’s favour.
During resumption of hearing on Tuesday, Ortom’s counsel Samuel Irabor informed the court that Oshiomhole’s counsel Festus Jumbo had told him they have considered putting up a retraction of the publication and it would be ready within a week.
He said he was applying for another date to take a look at the terms of settlement canvassed by Oshiomhole.
Titus Akhuwa who held the brief of Mr Jumbo confirmed the development.
Justice Augustine Ityonyiman of State High Court sitting in Makurdi adjourned the case to October 29 for a report on the out-of-court settlement.