close

CNN Confirms That #EndSARS Lekki Massacre Happened

An investigation by CNN has revealed that the Nigerian Army used live bullets on #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos on October 20, contrary to claims by the army that blank bullets were used.

The news organisation said it got verified video footage using timestamps and data from the video files which shows soldiers who appear to be shooting in the direction of protesters who were calling for an end to police brutality.

It said accounts from eyewitnesses establish that after the army withdrew, a second round of shooting happened later in the evening.

It said current and former Nigerian military sources confirmed that the bullet casings “match those used by the army”. One of which was purchased from Serbia with ‘2005’ inscription on it.

READ :  Trump Calls On CNN To Fire Chris Cuomo Over Leaked Audio: 'Fredo Must Go!'

Two eyewitnesses told CNN they saw soldiers arriving the toll gate in a Toyota Hilux pickup truck with “OP Awatse” written on it – the name of a joint military task force that operates in Lagos.

The network said its video evidence shows the shooting by the army lasted from 6:43 p.m. until at least 8:24 p.m.

CNN identified a protester Victor Ibanga who reportedly died on the night of the shootings.

Some of those present told the network that dozens of people were killed and many injured. But Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu told CNN only two were killed.

Disc jockey DJ Switch who was present at the toll gate on the night of the shooting said they counted about 15 bodies.

READ :  Lekki Shootings: ‘We Stand By Our Report’, CNN Replies FG

According to the investigation, Elisha, Victor’s brother, received a call on October 21 that Victor had been shot dead and “that the police took his body away”.

CNN said many persons have been recorded missing since the shooting.

It also quoted one Peace Okon as saying she has not seen her 18-year-old brother Wisdom Okon who went to the protest ground on the night of the shooting.

“I’ve gone to hospitals; I’ve gone to police stations, I’ve gone to everywhere. I can’t find him,” she said.

A Lagos State Government spokesman declined to comment, saying the matter is already before a panel of inquiry.

Tags : #EndSARS Lekki MassacreCNN

Leave a Reply

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks