close

World

BREAKING: Covid-19: Coronavirus Finally Gets Official Name From WHO

The Chinese coronavirus, a cousin of the SARS virus, whichhas claimed over 1,000 lives since the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December has finally been given an official name.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) made this known on Tuesday, February 11, 2020.

The deadly disease was dubbed 2019-nCoV, which means it is a novel (new) type of coronavirus discovered in 2019, but this is just a temporary placeholder.

Other unofficial, potentially inaccurate, names for it have emerged, including the China coronavirus, Wuhan coronavirus and even ‘snake flu’.

However, speaking with newsmen in Geneva, Switzerland, WHO head, Tedros Ghebreyesus, said; “Covid-19” would be the new official name for the deadly coronavirus.

He explained that ‘co’ stood for ‘corona’, ‘vi’ for ‘virus’ while ‘d’ for ‘disease’.

read more

Scores Arrested In Iran Over Fatal Ukrainian Plane Crash

Several people have been arrested in Iran in connection with last week’s shooting down of a Ukraine International Airlines flight with 176 people on board.

“We conducted intensive investigations and several people were arrested in connection,’’ said Justice Ministry spokesperson, Gholam-Hussein Ismaili, according to the Isna news agency.

He did not say which divisions or organisations employed those arrested.

He added that the case is complicated and has many dimensions that must be investigated before a result can be reached.

Iranian President Hassan Rowhani also demanded a seamless investigation.

“This case is no normal case and has to go before a special court and investigated thoroughly by multiple experts,’’ he said, renewing his calls for a complete probe.

He said the investigation must be conducted transparently and, regardless of the findings, made public, with those responsible for the attack on the plane brought to justice.

“We have to make sure that this kind of tragedy never happens in our country again,’’ he said.

Rowhani also said he could not accept a version of events in which one person “who pushed a button’’ is solely responsible for the accident.

He said multiple agencies would have to share the blame which would be apportioned by the investigation.

He said the point is not simply justice for the dead in the plane, but to guarantee security in Iran in the future.

He said he deeply regretted the incident and had already spoken to the leaders of the countries affected by the attack, promising them a thorough investigation.

read more

Remains Of 141 Genocide Victims Exhumed At Rwanda’s Airstrip

Remains of 141 victims of 1994 Rwandan genocide against Tutsi have so far been exhumed from mass graves at Rubavu airstrip in the western part of the country, a local official said.

The official said the bodies were exhumed since the search started on Monday.

The search started after casual labourers at the airstrip, who were digging water channels dug out human remains on Saturday, Pacifique Ishimwe, Rubavu District Vice Mayor said on Thursday.

“With the help of excavators, we have so far exhumed remains of about 141 people from mass graves but the search continues,” she said.

On the first day of the search, remains of 28 victims, including that of women were exhumed from two separate mass graves adjacent to Rubavu airstrip and district stadium.

She said the women were buried with babies strapped on their backs.

She appealed to the public to come forward with information which could help in identifying the names of the victims who were buried in the mass graves.

Genocide survivors said in late April 1994 during the genocide, several Rwandans of Tutsi ethnic group were led to the stadium called Umuganda, where they were killed.

Remains of genocide victims are still being discovered in different parts of Rwanda two decades after the wanton massacres.

Rwanda’s National Commission for the fight against Genocide (CNLG), said in 2009 that government was considering use of ground penetrating radar to locate mass graves for remains of the genocide victims in order to give them a befitting burial.

In 2018 and 2019, the remains of 118,049 genocide victims were discovered in 17 districts of the country, according to CNLG.

About one million people, mainly Tutsi and moderate Hutus, were killed in the 1994 genocide against Tutsi which lasted 100 days.

read more

Remains Of 141 Genocide Victims Exhumed At Rwanda’s Airstrip

Remains of 141 victims of 1994 Rwandan genocide against Tutsi have so far been exhumed from mass graves at Rubavu airstrip in the western part of the country, a local official said.

The official said the bodies were exhumed since the search started on Monday.

The search started after casual labourers at the airstrip, who were digging water channels dug out human remains on Saturday, Pacifique Ishimwe, Rubavu District Vice Mayor said on Thursday.

“With the help of excavators, we have so far exhumed remains of about 141 people from mass graves but the search continues,” she said.

On the first day of the search, remains of 28 victims, including that of women were exhumed from two separate mass graves adjacent to Rubavu airstrip and district stadium.

She said the women were buried with babies strapped on their backs.

She appealed to the public to come forward with information which could help in identifying the names of the victims who were buried in the mass graves.

Genocide survivors said in late April 1994 during the genocide, several Rwandans of Tutsi ethnic group were led to the stadium called Umuganda, where they were killed.

Remains of genocide victims are still being discovered in different parts of Rwanda two decades after the wanton massacres.

Rwanda’s National Commission for the fight against Genocide (CNLG), said in 2009 that government was considering use of ground penetrating radar to locate mass graves for remains of the genocide victims in order to give them a befitting burial.

In 2018 and 2019, the remains of 118,049 genocide victims were discovered in 17 districts of the country, according to CNLG.

About one million people, mainly Tutsi and moderate Hutus, were killed in the 1994 genocide against Tutsi which lasted 100 days.

read more

Remains Of 141 Genocide Victims Exhumed At Rwanda’s Airstrip

Remains of 141 victims of 1994 Rwandan genocide against Tutsi have so far been exhumed from mass graves at Rubavu airstrip in the western part of the country, a local official said.

The official said the bodies were exhumed since the search started on Monday.

The search started after casual labourers at the airstrip, who were digging water channels dug out human remains on Saturday, Pacifique Ishimwe, Rubavu District Vice Mayor said on Thursday.

“With the help of excavators, we have so far exhumed remains of about 141 people from mass graves but the search continues,” she said.

On the first day of the search, remains of 28 victims, including that of women were exhumed from two separate mass graves adjacent to Rubavu airstrip and district stadium.

She said the women were buried with babies strapped on their backs.

She appealed to the public to come forward with information which could help in identifying the names of the victims who were buried in the mass graves.

Genocide survivors said in late April 1994 during the genocide, several Rwandans of Tutsi ethnic group were led to the stadium called Umuganda, where they were killed.

Remains of genocide victims are still being discovered in different parts of Rwanda two decades after the wanton massacres.

Rwanda’s National Commission for the fight against Genocide (CNLG), said in 2009 that government was considering use of ground penetrating radar to locate mass graves for remains of the genocide victims in order to give them a befitting burial.

In 2018 and 2019, the remains of 118,049 genocide victims were discovered in 17 districts of the country, according to CNLG.

About one million people, mainly Tutsi and moderate Hutus, were killed in the 1994 genocide against Tutsi which lasted 100 days.

read more

Remains Of 141 Genocide Victims Exhumed At Rwanda’s Airstrip

Remains of 141 victims of 1994 Rwandan genocide against Tutsi have so far been exhumed from mass graves at Rubavu airstrip in the western part of the country, a local official said.

The official said the bodies were exhumed since the search started on Monday.

The search started after casual labourers at the airstrip, who were digging water channels dug out human remains on Saturday, Pacifique Ishimwe, Rubavu District Vice Mayor said on Thursday.

“With the help of excavators, we have so far exhumed remains of about 141 people from mass graves but the search continues,” she said.

On the first day of the search, remains of 28 victims, including that of women were exhumed from two separate mass graves adjacent to Rubavu airstrip and district stadium.

She said the women were buried with babies strapped on their backs.

She appealed to the public to come forward with information which could help in identifying the names of the victims who were buried in the mass graves.

Genocide survivors said in late April 1994 during the genocide, several Rwandans of Tutsi ethnic group were led to the stadium called Umuganda, where they were killed.

Remains of genocide victims are still being discovered in different parts of Rwanda two decades after the wanton massacres.

Rwanda’s National Commission for the fight against Genocide (CNLG), said in 2009 that government was considering use of ground penetrating radar to locate mass graves for remains of the genocide victims in order to give them a befitting burial.

In 2018 and 2019, the remains of 118,049 genocide victims were discovered in 17 districts of the country, according to CNLG.

About one million people, mainly Tutsi and moderate Hutus, were killed in the 1994 genocide against Tutsi which lasted 100 days.

read more

16 Dead, 5 Others Injured In Mexico’s Prison Break

At least 16 inmates were killed and five wounded in clashes at a prison in central Mexico, security officials said on Wednesday.

Police reinforcements who entered the prison in Zacatecas after the riot erupted found four guns and several sharp objects that could be used for stabbing.

Zacatecas state security chief Ismael Camberos Hernandez told local media that the weapons were likely smuggled into the prison during visitation hours on Tuesday because no weapons had been found during an inspection at the weekend.

Mexico has suffered from rampant violence for years, in large part because of the prevalence of criminal gangs who make their money through drugs, kidnappings and extortion.

An average of 100 people are killed daily in the country, which registered more than 36,000 homicides last year.

read more

9 Dead, 100 Hospitalised In Philippines After Consuming Locally-Brewed Liquor

Nine people died and more than 100 were hospitalised after drinking local liquor made from coconut sap in two separate incidents in the Philippines, police said Monday.

Eight people died after drinking a local brand of the traditional liquor, known as lambanog, at a get-together in Rizal town in Laguna province, some 70 kilometres south of Manila, a police report said.

At least 122 residents from the town were also rushed to hospital suffering with stomach aches, vomiting, and numbness in some parts of the body, with some collapsing and losing consciousness, it added.

The ninth victim died in nearby Candelaria town in Quezon province on Sunday, three days after he drank an unbranded bootleg lambanog with neighbours.

Six people from there were also rushed to hospital, including two who were comatose, the police report added.

Lambanog is a traditional Filipino alcoholic drink derived from coconut sap. It has a high alcohol content of around 40 per cent, and some are home-made and distilled in unsanitary conditions.

read more

PHOTOS: 32-Year-Old Man Who Pretends To Be 81 Nabbed While Trying To Get Into US

Jayesh Patel, an Indian man who tried to get out of India and into USA, posed himself as 81-year-old named Amrik Singh, was caught at the time of security check.

The 32-year-old man was stopped as he was trying to board a flight to New York at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi by the Central Industrial Security Force.

Disguised in zero power glasses to conceal his age, make-up, a turban and a dyed beard, he made it through initial security checks and past immigration officials, a spokesperson for the Central Industrial Security Force(CISF) told news agency IANS.

Patel reportedly hired an agent who got him the documents and arranged for him to be made-up to look like an 81-year-old in a hotel in Delhi, according to local media. Patel agreed to pay the agent once he had arrived in the U.S

According to a press released by CISF, Patel refused to go through frisking at the security hold area on the pretext that he is unable to stand since he was old.

Foul play was detected by a CISF personnel when it was noticed that Patel was avoiding eye contact during the interaction. On checking Patel’s passport, it was detected that he should be 82 whereas his physical appearance did not match his age in the passport which made him to be further enquired.

On tactful questioning, Patel revealed his identity and said that he hails from Ahmedabad in Gujarat.

“The appearance and skin texture of the passenger seemed to be much younger than mentioned in the passport,” the CISF said in the press release.

“We’ve never seen a similar case at the Delhi airport before,” added the CISF.

As of now, Jayesh Patel has been handed over to Immigration officials for further investigation. A probe is on to know as to why he was undertaking this illegal act, the press release said.

See photos below:

Patel’s passport
read more

BREAKING: Rwanda, DRC And Malawi Pull Out From WEF Africa Holding In South Africa

Following the recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa, three countries have pulled out from this year’s World Economic Forum on Africa.

The countries, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda and Malawi withdraw from the annual meeting of which was slated to held in Capetown, South Africa, on Wednesday, September 4th, in retaliation to the attacks going on in the host country, Leakers.ng reports.

The World Economic Forum is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation. The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.

In the “Doing business in Africa: a survey of CEOs.” themed meeting, Leakers.ng gathers that PwC Africa presents the findings of a survey of over 80 CEOs from 19 African countries.

It examines their views of the economy, prospects for revenue growth and the key opportunities and challenges facing businesses today.

It also benchmarks their views against those of their global peers.

The recent xenophobic attacks began last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria.

Speculations that the alleged killer was a Nigerian sparked protest, looting and burning of business centres owned by foreigners.

Three Nigerians were said to have been killed in the process with scores injured.

read more